Between WordPress 3.0 and WordPress 3.1, code was added to change certain characters in image captions into their HTML/ASCII character code equivalents. However, some people like to include links in captions, and this new filter broke that ability by swapping valid link code (albeit with strict limitations on the use of single and double quote characters) for HTML characters.
The serving of static image files by
ms-files.php can be problematic with some server setups, especially those that are using nginx to serve static files. I wrote the following to deal with uploaded files in situations where I don’t care about masking the actual location of the images.
I love [Ozh’ Tweet Archiver](http://planetozh.com/blog/my-projects/ozh-tweet-archiver-backup-twitter-with-wordpress/)–it just works, which is an awesome feature. However, a few months ago I noticed that my tweets were being scheduled instead of posted. This problem has nagged at me for awhile, and I figured it was an issue with my server (me on the East Coast, my server on the West Coast, and GMT/UTC somewhere else), until I read [this comment on the Tweet Archiver page](http://planetozh.com/blog/?page_id=1528&cp=2#comment-126102) describing exactly the behavior I was experiencing.
Given an array of post data to insert or update, it is easy to add a Post Format to the taxonomy array (similar to the `category` or `post_tag` data). The following assignments can be using in a conditional statement to automatically attach a Post Format to a saving post.
I’m currently using Theme Hybrid as a parent theme and have been exploring the internals with an eye to using WordPress 3.1’s new Post Formats for a lot of my content. I import my tweets from [Twitter](http://twitter.com/) via [Ozh’ Tweet Archiver](http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/ozh-tweet-archiver/); I import my bookmarks from [Delicious](http://www.delicious.com/) via [FeedWordPress](http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/feedwordpress/). These imported posts were previously stored in Custom Post Types, but Post Formats seem like a better fit, especially with the [hoops I jumped through](http://bajada.net/2010/10/12/custom-post-types-in-the-loop-using-pre_get_posts-refined) to get them to appear in The Loop.
The following explores options in Theme Hybrid for using a child theme to create custom Post Formats.
Third verse, almost the same as the first.
Using `request` data means that requests that end up with a 404 or are a search produce weird results with navigation menus, among other oddities. So I’m back to using `pre_get_posts` to include custom post types, with a few refinements.
I’m a sucker for custom post types, and also for archiving my tweets. [Ozh’ Tweet Archiver](http://planetozh.com/blog/my-projects/ozh-tweet-archiver-backup-twitter-with-wordpress/) hits the sweet spot between form and function; I added this filter to my `functions.php` so that I could keep tweets separate from posts without having to build a new blog.
I’m currently testing out a new version of my code to include custom post types in The Loop. So far, I haven’t found any functional differences. I’d like to do some things with post type archives and a possible `is_type()` function that would make my life easier when working with theme development, hence the change. I’m also trying out `any` instead of an array of post types.
Many Open Source projects provide their icons for use in other projects. In addition, the licenses of many icon sets allow for remixing and extension. This is hugely beneficial to end-users, as it allows designers to distribute add-on packs without having to worry about complex licensing terms.
I’m currently using custom post types and taxonomies extensively on this site, so it is very important to me to be able to see how I have catalogued a post, as well as being able to single out specific post types with a given taxonomy term while editing. The ideal place for this to happen is in the Admin Edit page.
The following set of functions grabs a list of available taxonomies for a given `post_type` and automatically adds columns to the Edit pages. This updated version does not have column information that disappears after using the Quick Edit AJAX on the Edit page. In addition, I’ve updated the taxonomy term links to actually work as filters on taxonomy and term.